Rajasthan Board RBSE Class 10 English Literature Poem Chapter 6 Writing Skills
Forms of Letters
- Informal: Personal such as to family and friends.
- Formal/Official: Formal letters are written in an official capacity. These include letters to the editor, letter of complaints, enquiries, requests, application etc.
- Business letters: Business letters are addressed to business firms for business purpose.
1. Informal Letter
Format of Letter
- 18/2 Bhati Nagar
Ganga Singh Road
16th April, 20xx
- My Dear Arti
- I was glad to get your letter yesterday. Thank you so much. I was very happy to know that you got 90% marks in Board Exam this year. But I also know that you are very careless about your health.
As we know that a healthy mind lives in a healthy body. If health is lost every thing is lost. So you should pay attention to your health.
- Give my regards to your parents.
- Yours sincerely
- The Heading/ Address (शीषक /पता): It consists of the writer’s address and the date of writing the letter.
The address is written at the top left of the page and the date is put just below it.
- Salutation (अभिवादन): It is the form of greeting written a little below the date and on the left side of the page. The form of greeting depends upon the relation in which you stand to the person to whom you are writing. Always keep in mind that the first and the second word of salutation are capitalized. If there are three words, the second one is not capitalized.
For Example: Dear Sir, Dear Father, My dear Ravi.
- Body of the Letter (पत्र का मुख्य भांग): This is the main part of the letter in this part we write the message or communication. It should be written in simple or direct language. It should also be divided into paragraph.
- Courteous leave taking (शीषटपूर्ण समपिति): In formal letters use thanks. In informal letters you may use With best regards/wishes/Love to ……….. etc. as per your terms with the person you are writing to.
- The subscription (भाव प्रकटीकरण): It is written below the courteous leave taking phrase on the left side of the page. This also depends on the degree or relationship between the writer and addressee.
Informal letters: Yours sincerely/Yours truly
Formal letters: Yours faithfully
- Signature (हस्ताक्षर): Put the signature below the subscription.
Forms of Salutation and Subscription
( अभिवादन और भाव प्रकटीकरण के रूप )
You are Mahendra living at 176, Malviyanagar, Jaipur. Write a letter to your father that you are working hard for your examination
10th December, 20**
I received your letter yesterday. I know that you are very worried about my studies. But I want to assure you that my study is going well. I do not waste my time in idle gossip. I regularly attend my classes in school. My teachers guide me well.
I complete my home task regularly. In the second terminal test, I was the topper in the class.
With best regards to mother and love to Harshita.
Text Book Questions Solved
You are Suresh residing at 135, Shastri Nagar, Jodhpur. Write a letter to your father requesting him to allow you to go on a historical/educational tour and sen some money for the same.
135, Shastri Nagar
18th April, 20xx
I am glad to inform you about a historical tour to Delhi. My school has planned this tour. All the students of my class are participating in this tour. I also want to become the member of the tour. Delhi is a historical city. The tour will increase our knowledge.
You are requested to send Rs 1000 for this purpose.
With best regards to mother and love to Rittika.
Your loving son
Write a letter to your brother about the choice of a career.
135, Indira Colony
Rani Park, Jaipur
20th May, 20xx
I am glad here. I passed class XII with good marks. I need you suggestion about my career. There are several options open before me. I have to make a choice between the doctor or engineer. Only you can suggest me properly. I shall be waiting for you suggestion.
With best regards to father and mother.
Imagine that you are Vipul living at Rani Bazar Bikaner. Your uncle sent you a dictionary as birthday gift. Write a letter to thank for the gift.
10th February, 20xx
I thank you a lot for the dictionary. A have got many gifts on my birthday. But your birthday gift is excellent. It will remain with me all through my life. I will improve my he knowledge of English is essential far. We cannot get success if we don’t know English.
Again I think you for this valuable gift with best regards to aunty and love to Meenu.
With best regards to father and mother.
Suppose you are Radhika living at Ridhi-Sidhi Colony, Sri Ganganagar. Your friend Sushmita has failed in the Secondary Examination this year. Write a letter expressing your sympathy to her.
1st May, 20xx
My dear Sushmita,
I am pained to know that you have failed in the secondary examination this year. I know that you are a labourious student. You luck did not favour you this time My God give you courage to bear this loss.
I hope you will do better in the next year. My wishes are always with you.
Pay my regards to your parents.
2. FORMAL LETTER
Complaint letters (शिकायत पत्र):
Suppose you are Vinay. You are writing to complain about a defective purchase. Your letter should be something like this:
The Manager address
The Electrical… date
On date I purchased from your shop a vacuum cleaner (give name of the make, the name of the Model, the serial number if you can read it) for Rs. ….
It does not work. Could you please arrange to have it put in order?
Reminder letters (स्मरण पत्र):
Perhaps no action has been taken and you have to write again. You should document your case as much as you can. If you have a spare copy (or can make one) of the first letter, enclose it.
Your letter should now run something like this:
The Manager address
The Electrical… date
Would you please refer to my letter (or letters) of …. (date or dates) copy (or copies) of which is/are attached
I have received no answer so far.
Do you want me to report the matter to the Consumer Forum? I would be grateful for an answer within a week.
…Enclosures (give number)
Write a letter to the collector of your district complaining the misuse of microphones (loudspeakers) in examination days:
59 L Block,
7th March, 20xx
The District Collector
Sub.: To ban the use of loudspeakers
Most respectfully I beg to draw your kind attention towards misuse of loud speakers in the city. It is the peak time of the board examination. The students need a peaceful atmosphere to prepare well for the examination.
But unfortunately there are some shopkeepers who blare loud speakers from morning to midnight in order to attract the customers.
So please you are requested to issue orders to ban the use of micro phones in the city until the Board Examinations are over. Thanking you
Writing a Job Application
(नौकरी के लिए आवेदन पत्र)
This may involve you in filling in a form, in which case treat it in the same manner as an official letter. Suppose you are applying for a job in answer to an advertisement in the press. Construct your letter in such a way that it helps the selector to get at the key facts.
Write a covering letter saying where you saw the advertisement and the date on which you saw it; this shows you are systematic.
Give your reasons for applying and, if already employed, why you want to change. State any points which may be in your favor, such as willingness to go abroad, driving experience and outside interests.
Give the names and addresses of at least two people who can be contacted for references. This is very important. Preferably your last employer, or the present one. Your headmaster or your tutor. And one responsible person who has known you for a long time. You must, of course, ask these referees beforehand whether they are prepared to vouch for you.
Enclose a passport size photograph of yourself (with your name written on it). On a separate sheet with your name, address and telephone number give your curriculum vitae, i.e. all the relevant factual information about yourself.
- Give your age (you may be too young or too old to be considered).
- Give your nationality (it may be important because of work permits or for other reasons).
- Give your marital status (married applicants may be preferred or excluded).
- Give your education with the name of your school, college, university, the dates you were there in brackets after each. Then give the subjects you studied and your grades.
- Give your experience: list the jobs you have done with the dates in brackets. This is how the letter of application with its enclosures should look.
The Managing Director
In answer to your advertisement in The Times of India, I wish to apply for the position of Personnel Manager.
I am 29 years old, Indian, unmarried.
My reason for applying to you is that I feel the need for change. Uttam Steel is a small family firm which does not offer enough scope for promotion.
For references please contact my present employer, CEO, Uttam Steel (address).
Enclosed: 1 passport photograph and my curriculum vitae.
CURRICULUM VITAE (ON A SEPARATE SHEET)
Name : Rakesh Kumar
DOB : 1 March, 1995
Marital Status : Unmarried
Schooling : Adarsh Vidhya Mandir Sr. Sec. School, Sri Ganganagar
N.C.C. : ‘C’ Certificate in Grade A
Certificate :Computer : O Level
Experience : Joined as a clerk in Uttam Steel Ltd. Pune on July, 1, 2015
(ई – मेल लेकन)
E-mail is so convenient that it is tempting to use it on all occasions. E-mail is especially suitable when, you are making a simple request, you are sending some simple information
The word ‘e-mail’ is the short form of the electronic mail’ which can only be sent from one computer to another using an Internet connection and a mail browser. Of course you and your receiver both require mailing addresses which are unlike our conventional postal addresses. An e-mail address, commonly known as e-mail ID, is like:
firstname.lastname@example.org (sender of the e-mail)
email@example.com (receiver of the e-mail)
You can have your e-mail ID by buying an Internet connection or by creating it on many web-sites which offer you a free e-mail ID.
One has to be very careful while writing any e-mail ID because a single error will not send your e-mail and it will bounce.
“Addressing the receiver or salutation (सम्बोदन ):
It is not strictly necessary to address the receiver as you would in a letter. But if you are sending a message to someone that you feel is in a higher position and you know his/ her name, you may want to begin with, for example, ‘Dear Mr. Gupta’ or ‘Dear Ms. Aiyer’. Avoid guessing people’s names or gender. If you are sending an email to someone in their official capacity use ‘Dear Sir’ or ‘Dear Madam’ as the case may be.
Making requests (अनूरोध करना):
The first e-mail you send is the most important and it is likely to be a request of some kind. When making a request it is crucial that you provide all the information needed for the receiver to make a decision. You could follow this model:
Explain who you are
Explain how you found out the name and e-mail address of the receiver.
Explain the background to your request.
Make the request.
Explain how you would like the receiver to respond.
|Subject||Online purchase of book – Communicative English Grammar|
I am a student of Secondary class of Nosegay Public School, Sri Ganganagar. I got your email ID from the catalogue of the books brought out by you. A book titled ‘Communicative English Grammar’ also appears in that catalogue which I shall like to buy. I write this to request you to send a copy of the same. I promise to pay the required amount to the delivery-man at the time of the delivery of the same.
My postal address is as follows:
132-G-Block, Sri Ganganagar (Rajasthan)
Language and Style (भाषा एवं शैली):
- Keep your messages as short as possible and use short paragraphs-people do not like to read long messages on a computer screen.
- Try making each paragraph informative and self-contained and avoid using too many pronouns, and do not assume that the receiver remembers what you have written in an earlier e-mail.
- Check your grammar and spelling-do not assume that accuracy does not matter in e-mail.
- Never send an email IN CAPITALS THROUGHOUT. It is deemed to be the equivalent of shouting. Use single line spacing with an extra line between paragraphs.
- There is no need to write the date of sending the e-mail as the date and time of sending it is automatically generated and displayed on the computer of the recipient.
Reply to the above e-mail by the publisher:
|Subject||An enquiry about a book – Communicative English Grammar|
|Thank you very much for your mail. Your order has been executed and the book titled ‘Communicative English Grammar’ has been sent to you quick delivery is ensured.
We look forward to serve you more.
Note: For writing personal or informal e-mails follow the personal pattern and style of writing as is adopted while writing personal or informal letters.
Textbook Questions Solved
Dr. S. Bansal is the Director of the School of Management, Amrawati. Write an e-mail to him asking him to send you the details about the PGDBM courses his institution runs.
|Subject||An enquiry about the PGDBM Courses|
I am a student of Senior secondary school, Bharatpur. This year is may final year. I came across your advertisement in the newspaper dated 24th April, 20xx. After Completing my class XII. I desire to opt for the PGDBM courses which you institution offers. I request you to provide me detains of this course on live.
I look forward to quick reply.
Write an e-mail to a news channel congratulating and thanking it for a very good talk it telecast on the uses of the Computer Technology.
|Subject||Thank you for good talk on computer technology|
I heartly thank you for good talk on the used of the computer technology yesterday. We are immensely benefited by this programme. You talk has made us aware of the various used of computer technology. How it is creating jobs for millions and our messages are sent within the blank of eyes.
We expect some more such programmes in future.
There is an online Group of Doctors. Its e-mail address is : doctorsgrcupt. yahoo. zroupsocom Write an e-mail to the Group members asking them to give you the latest information on the development of any new drugs for diabetes. You can address the Group members as “Dear all’.
|Subject||Latest information on the development of my new drugs.|
I am a student of class XII, Jai Singh Public School, Bharat Nagar. A debate competition is goin to be held on 10th May, 20xx in our school. The topic is of this debate is the latest development of new drugs. As I am a contestant of this debate. I have to speak on the topic. But I lack in latest information on new drugs. You are requested to toe share knowledge in this regard on my e-mail ID. I look forward for a quick reply.
Write an e-mail to the Director, Education, Rajasthan requesting him to make your school the venue for organising the next State Level School Wrestling Championship. His e-mail address is : firstname.lastname@example.org
|Subject||Make our school the venue of the next State Level School Wrestling Championship|
I am a student of Govt. Senior Secondary School, Jaipur. There are a good number of students we wrestlers in our school. They need encouragement. So that they will develop their wrestling talents. If the next state level school wrestling championship is our school, it will greatly promote the student writers. Therefore, it is requested that this year the wrestling championship may be organised in our school.
A paragraph deals with one particular point of a subject communicated through logically built and grammatically correct sentences. While writing a paragraph the following points should be kept in mind:
- Theme: The writer should remember the main theme of the paragraph and focus attention on it. Do not mention other topics in the paragraph.
- Unity: A paragraph is kept in balance by using logical arguments. If there is a cause of something mentioned in the paragraph, it should have the effect also.
- Variety: Use familiar nouns, adjectives or adverbs. To avoid boredom, different types of sentence structures should be used. Don’t begin your sentences with the same noun/pronoun, e.g., He says that …., He thinks that …., He tells that …. and so on. Such sentences show the poor performance of the writer.
- End: The end should not be sudden. The thought with which the paragraph begins should have the conclusion also; for example, if the paragraph begins with the description of a disease, it should end with some suggestion to treat the disease or with an advice of precaution about it.
How to attempt writing a short paragraph:
(लघु अनुच्छेद लेखन कला)
You may be asked to write a short paragraph on a given outline/topic in about 60-70 words.
Writing a short paragraph essentially differs from writing larger paragraphs. While writing a short paragraph, particularly when an outline has been given, the writer has to be much careful because ignoring the points given in the outline will negatively affect your performance. So, be careful in attempting the short paragraphs.
Write a paragraph in about 75 words on the importance of Ayurvedic Medicines. You may use the following points:
- no side effects
- in favor of Swadeshi Movement
India is the birth place of the Ayurveda which is devoted to physical as well as mental health of individuals. The ayurvedic medicines are prepared from natural properties like herbs, tinctures of plants, powder of roots, and herbal concoctions, they are easily absorbed in our bodies. Since their ingredients are natural. They do not produce side effects. As compared to the allopathic medicines the Ayurvedic medicines are cheaper. If we buy these home-made medicines, the profit goes to the native manufacturers.
This process will be beneficial for the Indian economy.
Textbook Questions Solved
Write paragraphs on the following topics each in 60 words:
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- A Clean India Movement
- Financial Support
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a Clean India Movement. This campaign has been started by the Government of India. Prime Minister Narendra Modi official launched this campaign on 2nd October, 2014 at Rajghat, New Delhi. It is India’s largest ever cleanliness drive. Around 3 million government employment and school and college students from the various parts of the country are participating in this national cleanliness drive. The objective of Swacch Bharat is no make India an open. Defecation free by 2019 the government is helping people construct individual, cluster and community toilets. The World Bank is supporting this pogramme with funds and technical resources.
- Hard ship
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a historic decision on 8th November, 2016. He announced the demonetization of high denomination notes. The notes of mainly Rs 500 and Rs 1000 were demonetized from the same day. Demonetization aimed to wash the stock of black market’s cash supply and counterfeit notes out of the economy. The people were given a 50 day period to exchange their canceled cash there was widespread anguish among the people against this decision. Still they showed optimistic favor of this decision. Many people were forced to open accounts in the banks. About thirty lakh new accounts have been opened since demonetization. Besides it has paved the way for digital payments which will cheek the envision of takes in the country.
Goods & Service Tax (GST) Bill
- Government’s Opinion
- How is GST levied
GST Bill is also known as GST—Goods & Service Tax. GST stands for a ‘single taxation system. The main expectation from this system is to abolish all indirect taxes and levy GST. GST is a consumption based tax. It is based on the destination principle’. GST is applied on goods and services at the place where actual consumption happiness. GST is collected on value added goods and services of each stage of sale or purchase in the supply chain. The current taxes like excise duties service tax custom duty etc. will be merged under CGST. The taxes like sales tax, entertainment tax. VAT and other state taxes will be included in SGST. It will be levied on the place of consumption of Goods and Services.
My School Library
My School Library My school library is just like a temple. It is a very big hall. Here countless books are systematically arranged in racks. There are tables and chairs for students to sit on. The librarian looks after the school library. It is a very good library. Books are categorized subject-wise. The students are allowed to borrow at least two books at a time for a week. Books are source of knowledge and entertainment. We must develop a proper reading habit.
My Class Teacher
My Class Teacher Mr. Dibyendu Rai is my class teacher. He teaches us Hindi. He is very strong. His voice is very sweet. Every students can understand him. He is a teaches of sweet nature also. He takes with love and cheer. He always motivates us to learn Hindi. He likes punctuality and hard work. He never puts off his work for tomorrow. His ideas are very impressive. I learn from Hindi. I want to become a journalist.
My Favorite Book
My Favorite Book I have read many books, but none of them has appealed to me as much as the Ramayana. As everyone knows, it is the story of lord Rama. He symbolizes all virtues. He proved that in the conflict between good and evil he ultimate winner would be good. He succeeded in eliminating evil forces represented by the Demon King Ravana. Rama’s words and deeds were always noble People read his story with reverence. The story of Ramayana has been told and retold several times. Still people like to hear it told or see it enacted again and again. It proves the strength of Ramayana.
A Historical Tour
A Historical Tour Everybody knows that the historical places have great importance. They have educative value. Last year I went to Agra. I visited the several buildings of historical interest the Taj Mahal in the most famous building in the world. It is made of white marbles. Its beauty is very impressive. The four minarets add to the glory of this famous building. One can enjoy the reflection of this tomb in the water of the Yamuna river in the moon lit light. The grassy lawns are also special. This visit has become for me.
Importance of Trees
Importance of Trees Trees are very useful. They are equally useful to men and animals. They give us food, wood, fruits and medicines. They provide food and shelter to countless birds and animals. Their roots hold the sail lightly and controls soil erosion. They cheek pollution also. They cause rains. Several industries get raw material from trees. The rubber and paper industries are dependent on them for raw material. During summer, they give us cool air and shelter. Children play under its shade. Trees are valuable to us. We must protect them from destruction.
Protection of Animals
Protection of Animals Animals are also part of nature. God has created them like other living creatures. They survive in the kingdom of God without fear. Their life is put in danger. They also need clean environment for the survival of life. But we pollute environment and cut downs and create problems. Animals are very useful to us. They serve us variously. Cows, buffaloes, etc. give us milk. Horses and oxen carry our loads. We must be kind to animals. Like us they also feel pain and suffering.
Corruption as a Social Evil
Corruption as a Social Evil
Corruption is one of the deadly. Undesirable and wicked sins. It has been imposed on the innocent man by some hungry people. It is present everywhere in our society. Our administrative system is badly affected by corruption. The serious causes like poverty and redtapism have led our society to disability. Corruption has distorted all values. It has entered into every aspect of our lives. There is barely any sphere of social. Potential economic and even religious activities that is free from graft framed and corruption of some kind. It has become a part of our life and we are forced to live with this evil. We have to uproot this evil practice out of our society.
An unseen passage is also known as comprehension passage. It is an extract from a book/magazine/journal/newspaper set to test the student’s ability to understand language. Not only in the regular examinations of the education Boards and the universities, but the unseen passages are set in the papers of the competitive examinations conducted by the State Service Commissions, the Staff Selection Commission, the Union Public Service Commission and the various other agencies including the banks also. The aim of an unseen passage, is to know about the level of the students/ examines about their understanding of the given text, its meaning, its grammar and vocabulary. As the students have not read this piece of literature during their regular studies, and that they are confronted with it for the first time in the examination hall, some difficulties naturally arise. Therefore, the students are advised to keep in mind the following points before attempting a comprehension passage:
- We should read the passage carefully without hesitation.
- During the first reading of the passage, we should try to get the central idea of the message given in it.
- We should not be afraid if we don’t know the meanings of a few words given in the extract. In spite of a few difficult words given in the passage we will be able to understand its main theme.
- We should also Read the questions given in the passage. Some of the doubts will be clear after reading the questions.
- We should read the passage for the second time, now keeping the questions in mind. We should think on or try to underline the parts which we consider to be the answers.
- We should answer the questions briefly in our own language. We must not copy the original lines from the passage.
- Generally we should try to avoid long answers.
Textbook Question Solved
1. Read the passage carefully and answer the questions given below:
Under the influence of English education and the line of analytical and scientific thought, young Narendra, in his college days, turned agnostic for sometime. He had a strong desire to the validity of the spiritual teachings. He confronted many religious teachers with his question; “Have you seen God?”, but was not satisfied with their explanation or reasoning and was in search of someone who had seen God face to face. He met such a person in Sri Ramkrishna, who replied “Yes, my child, I have seen God as I see you, but more intensely. I talked to God I have talked to God more intimately than I am talking to you.”
About the faith in God, “Swami Vivekananda said at the Chicago Parliament of Religions” Whatever may be the position of philosophy, whatever may be the position of metaphysics, so long as there is such a thing as weakness in the human heart, so long as there is a cry going out of the heart of man in his very weakness, there shall be a faith in God.”
- Why did Swami Vivekanand become doubtful about the existence of God?
- What was the attitude of Vivekanand towards the spiritual teachings?
- How did Sri Ramkrishna satisfy Vivekanand?
- What was the essence of the speech of Swami Vivekanand delivered at the Chicago conference?
- The word “agnostic’ means:
(a) a believer in religion
(b) a critic of religion
(c) a person doubting the existence of God
(d) an admirer of religion
- The word ‘metaphysics’ means:
(a) physical science
(b) study of metals
(c) study of spiritualism
(d) study of chemicals
- Write words from the passage which means:
(a) came face to face
- Swami Vivekanand was under the influence of English education and analytical as well as scientific thought in his college days. So, he became doubtful about the existence God.
- He had an intense desire to examine the validity of the spiritual teachings.
- Sri Ramkrishna told Vivekanand that he had seen God and talked to Him as he was seeing him and talking to him.
- Human beings can never lose faith in God!
- The words ‘agnostic’ means—’a person doubting the existence of God.’
- The world ‘Metaphysics’ mean—’Study of Spiritualism’.
- (a) Confronted. (b) Intimately.