iii Comprehension: Unseen Passages
- The parents feel that their children’s studies are affected because they watch T.V. more than their studies.
- We notice that under the influence of television the people sleep less, read less and communicate less with their families.
- By television viewing the care of children and elderly people is getting neglected.
- Many parents have cut off their TV because their children’s studies are affected due to watching TV.
- Traditionally it has been the attitude towards the aged in India that they are looked after and they live with their children and grandchildren.
- The effect of small flats on the aged is that they are confined to some remote corner or are shared round the year with other member of the family.
- The cost of living is steadily going up. Doctors are expensive and so are the special foods the old need.
- The most frightening problem of the old age is loneliness.
- Pratap took a vow that until Chittor was recovered, he would lead a hard life.
- Pratap asked his people that no one should plough the fields and no crop should be grown in the country.
- With a small body of twenty two thousand Rajputs, he fought against the army of Akbar.
- Rana Pratap is honored even today for his spirit of sacrifice.
- The annual event was the day of the excitement for the writer because he played the central part—the celebration of the anniversary of his birth.
- The writer was interested in this very annual event.
- The main grievance of the writer was that his birthdays came so rarely.
- The writer did not realize then that a time would come when birthdays would become unpleasant reminders of advancing age.
- When the king found out the prisoner innocent, he gave him a sum of money and set him free.
- The prisoner went straight to the market where some birds were kept for sale.
- The shopkeeper was surprised because the man purchased all the birds from him and set them free.
- The man said to the shopkeeper, “If you had been in prison like me for no fault, you would have done the same.”
- Water is essential for the existence of all living things because all plants, animals and human beings need water to survive.
- All plants, animals and human beings need water to survive.
- We cannot drink water of the oceans and seas because it is salty.
- We use water for drinking, making food and washing clothes.
- Florence Nightingale’s sole ambition was to be a nurse.
- She visited every bed in the hospital to see that no patient was neglected.
- A businessman who is not punctual causes inconvenience to the persons whom he has to deal.
- The reason to most of the failures is the want of habit of punctuality.
- The Titanic was a huge passenger ship. It enjoyed the reputation of being unsinkable.
- The Titanic collided against a huge iceberg. It was a great tragedy.
- Mount Everest is the highest peak of the Himalayas.
- The word ‘Himalayas’ means the abode of snow.