Word Power 6
This chapter includes antonyms (opposite), single word for a group of words and the same word used both as Noun and Verb.
A. Antonyms (Opposites)
B.Single word for a Group of Words
- One who believes in the existence of God – Theist
- The yearly return of a date – anniversary
- An assembly of listeners – audience
- One who plays for pleasure – amateur
- The life history of a person written by himself – autobiography
- The science of plant life – botany
- The life history of a person written by another – biography
- A person who lives at the same time as an other – contemporary
- Done without any preparation – extempore
- One who believes in fate – fatalist
- A room containing many books – library
- A period of hundred years – century
- A period of two weeks – fortnight
- Resulting in death – fatal
- One who makes a powerful public speech – orator
- That which lives on another – parasite
- Happening at the same time – simultaneous
- A list of books – catalogue
- A place for burial of dead bodies – cemetry
- Of or from all parts of the world – cosmopolitan
- Government formed by the representatives of the people – democracy
- Contrary to law – illegal
- Bad beyond reform – incorrigible
- A play that ends in death – tragedy
- A light amusing drama or play – comedy
- One who takes a bright view of things – optimist
- One who takes a dark view of things – pessimist
- A child born after the death of his father – posthumous
- A piece of writing before it is published – manuscript
- One who speaks for others – spokesman
- Performing work without pay – honorary
- Government carried on by an absolute ruler – dictatorship
- That which cannot be read – illegible
- One who does not know how to read and write – illiterate
- That which cannot be heard – inaudible
- A child whose parents are dead – orphan
- A woman whose husband is dead – widow
- A man whose wife is dead – widower
- One who lives on vegetables or plant food – vegetarian
- Science of the life of animals – zoology
- Subject to death – mortal
- Government by a king – monarchy
- One who does not believe in the existence of God – atheist
- A cure of all diseases – panacea
- An instrument for measuring temperature – thermometer
C. Words used both as a Noun and Verb
As a Noun
As a Verb
I want to go out for fresh air.
Put the clothes out to air.
NGOs are run on aid from the government.
They aided him to escape.
My aim in life is to become a doctor.
I aimed at the target.
I leaned on my father’s arm.
A country should arm against the enemy.
I have an account in a local bank.
You can bank on me.
The batsman changed his bat.
He batted well.
The bark of this tree is useful.
Dogs are barking.
A serious battle took place.
He is battling for his life.
I have a serious pain in my back.
He has promised to back me.
My friend has bought a new book.
I have booked my room in a hotel.
The bridge is under-construction.
We should bridge the gap between the rich and the poor.
His face is round.
I have never faced a clumsy person. :
Children love to visit fairs.
One should be fair in one’s dealings.
My mother bought a new fan.
My mother fanned me with a paper.
I have to pay a fine of fifty rupees.
I am fined fifty rupees.
The man hit me on my head.
Mr. Sharma will head the meeting.
These boots are made from buffalo hide.
The child hid himself under the bed.
I saw the highlight of the match.
Please highlight the important lines in red.
The towel is hanging on the hook.
A car was hooked to the back of a truck.
I love to drink milk.
The farmer is milking the cow.
I walk everyday in the park.
Don’t park your vehicle here.
Please tell me the reason of your late coming.
Gradually man developed his ability to reason.
Monkeys have long tails.
The spy is tailing me for. several days.
These plants need a trim.
The gardener trimmed the plants.
Please give me a glass of water.
The gardener is watering the plants.
Fill in the blanks with the help of the words given in the box.
- My towel is wet but yours is ______________ .
- He never comes early, he is always ______________ .
- I hoped that he would accept my proposal but finally he ______________ it.
- Deposit the amount and ______________ it whenever you need.
- Peace is always good, ______________ is always bad.
- My box is light but yours is ______________ .
- I have only friends and no ______________ .
- My brother is minor. Next year he will become ______________ .
- I always remember happy days and want to ______________ bad ones.
- This road is ______________ but that road is narrow.
- My towel is wet but yours is dry.
- He never comes early, he is always late.
- I hoped that he would accept my proposal but finally he rejected it.
- Deposit the amount and withdraw it whenever you need.
- Peace is always good, war is always bad.
- My box is light but yours is heavy.
- I have only friends and no enemy.
- My brother is minor. Next year he will become major.
- I always remember happy days and want to forget bad ones.
- This road is wide but that road is narrow.
Write one word for the following group of words.
- That which cannot be heard.
- One who believes in fate
- A cure of all diseases.
- One who speaks for others.
- A period of hundred years.
- One who doesn’t know how to read and write
- One who believes in the existence of God
- One who doesn’t believe in the existence of God
- The life history of a person written by himself
- The life history of a person written by another